At the outset the collection consisted mainly of historic gloves acquired by The Worshipful Company of Glovers of London including notably the collection of the artist Robert Spence (1871 – 1964) who bequeathed to the Company an outstanding collection of mainly 17th and 18th century items. It also included duplicates of the coronation gloves of Queen Victoria and subsequent monarchs commissioned from Messrs Harborow.
The trustees have subsequently added to the collection and in particular sought examples of fashion gloves mainly of British and European origin from 1800 through to modern times. Their success in this endeavour was due in no small measure to the drive and enthusiasm of one particular trustee, the late Douglas Sweet whose very special contribution is recorded in the booklet Building the Collection.
The historic gloves have normally been on long term loan to the Fashion Museum Bath since 1985 and from 2019 the entire collection was housed there.
The trustees acknowledge with deep gratitude the invaluable support they receive from the museum in looking after the collection and in assisting the trustees to meet their objectives.